Saturday, July 15, 2006

New Issue Of Decibel Magazine Is Out


And within the pages is a great article about the beginnings of Slayer up until now. A couple of crazy things have happened across the way (like the “pissing incident” with Chronos from Venom) which are covered in 16 pages. If there isn’t a book or several about Slayer, then I’d be surprised, as they have enough history and influence to warrant a book being written about them.

One thing I do think is always a shame, is that people often overlook “Seasons In The Abyss” when speaking about great Slayer albums. In case you haven’t guessed “Seasons In The Abyss” is my favourite Slayer album.

In a strange turn of events the overall winner in the whole Metallica Vs. Megadeth dispute actually goes to Slayer. I remember there was a point in time when “Best Metal Album” lists would come up in publications, and Metallica would inevitably land somewhere at the top, if not at the top of the list, with Slayer trailing not too far behind, if not right behind them. Now whenever I read “Best Of Lists” Slayer always comes before Metallica with “Reign In Blood” now beating “Master Of Puppets”.

It’s always strange for me to look back in time about this situation, because Metallica was the band that got me started, and initially I didn’t like Slayer. Slowly but surely I did warm up to them. I think it was only one year later that I became indifferent to them, and then they slowly grew on me. Now you can really see that their influence has grown beyond just their musical style. I’ve read a lot of interviews where musicians talk about how “Reign In Blood” got them up and playing.

Decibel Magazine
Slayer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home